EFNEP youth programs are designed to offer nutrition education to help children and adolescents learn how to make wise choices that will benefit their overall health.
Students learn about:
- Nutrition and good health
- Recommended physical activity
- Safe food handling practices
- Preparation of simple, nutritious, affordable foods
- Strategies to be food secure
The youth program is delivered by EFNEP Extension Program Assistants in schools and community organizations. Evidence-based curricula are used for teaching a minimum of 6 one-hour lessons.
Youth participants must be between ages 5-18 and qualify for at least one of the following:
- Attend a Title 1 school in which 50% or more of the students qualify for free or reduced price lunch or breakfast.
- Receive free or reduced-price school breakfast or lunch.
- In a household receiving food stamps or other federal assistance.